In this video, Steve Blank identifies six different types of startup:
- lifestyle start-up – an enterprise where a single entrepreneur makes a sufficient living out of pursuing a passion (for example surfing);
- small business startup – intended to be a nothing more than a profitable small enterprise such as family grocery store;
- scalable start-up – the founders have £billion ambitions for growth to become a large company;
- large company sustaining innovation – initiatives within a large company to stimulate innovation in order to maintain competitive position.;
- buyable start-up – a startup intended to be sold to a large corporation once the business model has been shown to work; and
- social entrepreneurship start-ups.
Blank argues that these each need different entrepreneurial skillsets.